German Bundeswehr army soldiers from the 263rd paratrooper unit of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) take cover as they return fire during a firefight with insurgents during a mine sweeping operation in Chahar Dara on the outskirts of Kunduz, December 16, 2009. A combat outpost of the German Bundeswehr was attacked by insurgents, leaving one German soldier seriously injured.

German Bundeswehr army soldiers from the 263rd paratrooper unit of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) take cover as they return fire during a firefight with insurgents during a mine sweeping operation in Chahar Dara on the outskirts of Kunduz, December 16, 2009. A combat outpost of the German Bundeswehr was attacked by insurgents, leaving one German soldier seriously injured.

A dog follows German Bundeswehr army soldiers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) during a mission in Chahar Dara in the outskirts of Kunduz, December 17, 2009. German Bundeswehr army soldiers and Afghan National Army (ANA) units started a operation against insurgents in the area on Wednesday.

German Bundeswehr army soldiers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) aim their weapons as they monitor the area from a hill during a mission in Chahar Dara in the outskirts of Kunduz, December 17, 2009. German Bundeswehr army soldiers and Afghan National Army (ANA) units started a operation against insurgents in the area on Wednesday.

German Bundeswehr army soldiers from the 263rd paratrooper unit of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) run for cover as they return fire during a firefight with insurgents during a mine sweeping operation in Chahar Dara on the outskirts of Kunduz, December 16, 2009. A combat outpost of the German Bundeswehr was attacked by insurgents, leaving one German soldier seriously injured.

German Bundeswehr army soldiers from the 263rd paratrooper unit of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) conduct a mine sweeping operation before being attacked by insurgents in Chahar Dara on the outskirts of Kunduz, December 16, 2009. A combat outpost of the German Bundeswehr was attacked by insurgents, leaving one German soldier seriously injured.

German Bundeswehr army soldiers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) aim their weapons as they monitor the area from a hill during a mission in Chahar Dara in the outskirts of Kunduz, December 17, 2009. German Bundeswehr army soldiers and Afghan National Army (ANA) units started an operation against insurgents in the area on Wednesday.

File picture shows German Bundeswehr army snipers with the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) at the shooting range in Kunduz October 7, 2008. German lower house of parliament bundestag on December 3, 2009 is due to vote to extend Germany's participation in a NATO peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan for one more year. Picture taken October 7, 2008.

German ISAF soldiers, members of the Quick Reaction Force (QRF), unload their weapons after coming back from a mission outside Kunduz, Afghanistan, Thursday, Sept. 10, 2009.
Фотографии ангенства Reuters.